Sunday, July 1, 2012

a second of your time

describe three legitimate fears and explain how they became fears

ok, first of all, i did not really anticipate having a problem writing about all this stuff online. in fact, i did not really read the list before this moment. but, i am determined to write, so write i will, i guess...


my first fear is definitely my most feared. the fear of dying alone. i have always feared this, i don't know if i can really pinpoint the moment it became a fear. i think we as a society fear this, or we at least marginalize those that we see as having suffered this (think the cat lady, the spinster, the bag lady, the creepy old bachelor)


another fear is one that i am slowly, slowly overcoming. (though any progress is easily undone by watching a horror movie) the fear of the dark. when i was younger, i was terrified of the dark. i had to sleep with my door closed, in case something bad was in the hallway (because we all know how well a flimsy interior door without a lock fares against a villain) and i could not dangle my feet off the bed before something horrible under my bed grabbed them (the act of being on top of the bed is a very strong deterrent) i could not walk outside without the lights on, and even then, i could not look off into the distance, where the lights did not shine. (somehow, it made sense that not letting the evil beings in the dark know i could feel their presence protected me from them. we all know that naivete = protection!


i have a fear of open water. i don't like not being able to see or touch the bottom of the water i am in. i guess it is really an irrational fear of sharks or mermaids or human-eating giant squid or some other sort of water monster that is the problem. i love to swim in lakes, but you will not find me going farther than i can touch without panicking. i love to swim in the ocean, but you will not find me going farther than i can touch/see without panicking. i guess growing up, hearing stories about my uncle who was swimming to shore from miles out and was eventually eaten by sharks is the basis of this fear. i know that the numbers are astronomical that i would ever be attacked by sharks (i myself have been swimming a ridiculous amount of times and never even seen a shark) but i am still terrified of the possibility.

1 comments:

Chanel Stone said...

2!!!!!

How do we have the same fears?! open water!? i don't think we've ever talked about this together. but it terrifies me. i'm surprised we both survived when we went dolphin swimming!! i had to talk myself out of several panic attacks before hand. my cousin kept laughing at me cause he knew. RUDE.

also, i'm not going to die alone, cause v and i have a pact that we'll be spinsters together. you can join.