Thursday, November 4, 2010

my masey

this post is about my darling nephew mason. sometimes i call him masey. some times i call him masey mase. some times i call him mason vili. sometimes i call him mae mae. sometimes i call him sione.


no matter what name i call him, he is still my masey

what is there to say when your world feels like it is crumbling down? today, my life changed forever. quite literally. i have always been dramatic, but there is no drama added to that last sentence. masey was the nephew i did not appreciate enough. you see, he lives with us, and being the brat i am, i took his presence for granted. this post is full of pictures of my masey. feel free to leave now if you do not want to see them or want to use them inappropriately (they are all the property of Penelope Lolohea Photography)

i love my masey. today finds him in the hospital, awaiting brain surgery in the morning. tonight, he was perfectly normal, telling us he is ready to go home and he is tired of the hostable. he was wondering where his nice nurse was, and why she wasn't bringing another root beer float. the only indications anything is wrong are the wires running all over his body and the fact he barely touched his macaroni and cheese. otherwise, he was quick to let us know he was ready to go home so he wouldn't be boring anymore. tomorrow will bring with a lot of challenges and trials for my masey. luckily for him (and me, i am not sure i can live without the kid, and i know i do not want to try) masey is a fighter through and through. for tonight though, i just want to talk about my masey because i love him. a lot.


it took a day like today to remember all of the tiny things i adore about this boy. i adore that he plays until he drops. he loooooves thomas the tank engine and anything thomas-related. i love that he knows every single engine, car, truck, or freight train who ever appeared on the show. not just their names, but what they look like, what type of train they are, what number they are. you name it, masey knows it. he is not afraid to correct you if you draw james or henry without tenders (yeah, at 24, i did not know what a tender was until my 3 year old masey told me)


i adore how awesome this kid knows he is. they named a  whole grocery store chain after him, and placed mcdonalds chicken nuggets in the world for his benefit. he gags at the thought of grilled cheese sandwiches, but loves spaghettios and macaroni and cheese. masey loves water, but not quite as much as he loves rootbeer. doughnuts and cookies are things he craves all the time. he knows that if he wants a yes answer, he just has to go to papa, who will give him a resounding yes answer. 


masey knows his manners and is always polite, even if he is growling the please at you through clenched teeth. he has yet to have a cavity and loves going to the dentist because they have a railroad track (even though the train is broken) masey loves the Lord and absolutely adores the book of mormon. he is fascinated by the stories, fascinated with the people and the decisions they make, and fascinated with the gospel. he loves church and primary and all his friends. 

mostly, though, masey loves his family. i think he adores us almost as much as we adore him. he constantly comes up to me and says um, auntie latu? i have to tell you something [dramatic pause after i answer him] i love you!  or he will come up to me after work and proclaim i missed you so much! masey is so good at loving and recognizing his emotions. tonight, as i pray that the world prays for my masey, i just want to add and add to this list. the things i love about masey are without number. i just adore this kid and am so blessed he is in my life. 

6 comments:

Chandie said...

Latu what a sweet post. I'm so sorry for all of you to be going through this - it breaks my heart. He's such a sweet boy - and you are such an amazing aunt to him. I love you!

Stacie said...

Latu I loved this. Your entire family, but especially little Mason, are in my prayers and my tears and my thoughts. Love you.

James Yvonne and Elise said...

This was beautiful and captures his personality perfectly. I love you and am praying for everyone, especially Mason today.
Love you!

F-A-N-G-U-P-O said...

This post totally has me crying. I love how you explain yourself La2.....it's so true that in many things we take advantage people or things we have until we have an eye-opener like this. I'm so glad that he's such a trooper and everything is ok! My prayers are with your whole family....especially Pene and your little masey! Love u La2!

Holly T said...

My prayers are with little Macey and your family 5x times a day! I am so sorry that he has to go through this and how you all must feel. Rely heavily on the Lord. Love you!!

Angeles said...

hi latu. hope he gets better! he is in our prayers. loved your thoughts about him!