Monday, October 27, 2008

The original man in my life




Well, Saturday was my Daddy's birthday. The big 55. That's like Senior Citizen discount status. It's hard to believe that he's so old, and even harder to believe that he's still here. It's been four years since he was diagnosed with heart failure. Four years since he's been on the heart recipient list. Four years of touch and go. He's by no means the hearty, strong man from my childhood, but he's here. The statistics and doctors said that he would not make it this far, but he has and he's still chugging along. I love him for it.


I respect and love this man so much. He is truly a rock in my life. Sometimes we butt heads and view the world differently, but the bottom line is that he is a hard-working man with a solid head on his shoulders.


My daddy has a third grade education, but he is the most informed and smartest people I've ever encountered. He has a calming influence on people, and a way of deescalating situations. His sense of right and wrong is infallible. He taught me to respect authority and appreciate the many blessings I have, especially my citizenship in this great nation of ours. He taught me the value of family, and to respect and cherish my mother. He is the most giving and charitable men I've ever met.


Overall, and most importantly, he is my Daddy. I cannot count the blessings I have that spawn from him, but I know that I'm so very blessed to have him in my life.

2 comments:

pamelasue said...

So Sweet! I agree a hundred percent. I am glad you wrote it down.

leinani45 said...

happy birthday to your dad!!! give your family my love!