Tuesday, May 11, 2010

mama

when she got married, my mama was working and going to school. when she had her first child, she stopped both. from that moment forward, she dedicated herself to her family, and my father was able to provide the support our humble family needed. we never went without something we needed.

one day, back when i was still in high school, my daddy became extremely sick. the doctor's prognosis gave him weeks. once he passed that, it was months, then absolutely no longer than 5 years. thankfully, we've passed that five year mark, and he's still going strong. but that's not the story i want to tell today. i want to tell you about this lady: (ok, so it's not just a pic of my mama. i couldn't find one, so my parents' wedding pic will have to do :)

my mama went back to school at the age of 49. she finished with a teaching degree less than three years later, all the while holding down at least one job, sometimes two. she was able to juggle family, job, sick husband, and school. she's an inspiration to me.

at a point in her life when i'm sure she would love to settle down and just hang out with the grandkids, my mama is working to support her family. i'm sure her life has not played out the way she expected, but she never complains. she's an amazing example of selfless service and love.

i love this lady so much and am so grateful she's a part of my life. i truly don't know what i would do without her. it's a few days late, but happy mother's day, mama! i love you so much!

3 comments:

James Yvonne and Elise said...

Your mom is an amazing woman. We love you Julie!!!

pamelasue said...

I love your mama, too. Nice blog about a wonderful mother.

F-A-N-G-U-P-O said...

Yes, your mama is an amazing woman and I love her just like my own mama! Happy late Mother's Day Julie!