Wednesday, October 21, 2009

My Own Brand of Crazy

Well, it is a pretty well-known fact that I am crazy. I just feel like I should share a (maybe a few) story about my own brand of crazy. Hopefully, by sharing, I'll be able to recognize it earlier and earlier.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My Fiddle
Once upon a time, I decided that my life's dream was to be able to play down-home fiddle. Devil went down to Georgia-style. Because it was my life's dream, it made sense that I should be able to play it by ear. Yup folks! By ear. How does one play the fiddle by ear, you might ask? Here is my easy, tested, 7-step plan!

Step one is to buy a fiddle online for an exorbitant amount of money. (check!)
Step two is purchasing a few hundred dollars' worth of fiddle music from ITunes while waiting for said fiddle to arrive (check!)
Step three is listen to fiddle music 24/7 while waiting for online-bought fiddle to arrive, allowing your brain to memorize the music and preparing your hands to play (check!)
Step four is pick up the fiddle and hope your brain has created the required muscle memory in your hands (not quite a check...)
Step five is repeat step four for a few weeks, while simultaneously trying (in vain) to hide your shame that said plan is not quite panning out (check!)
Step six is come to terms that it is entirely possible that playing the fiddle by ear is A LOT harder than it sounds (check!)
Step seven is list the fiddle on craigslist and ksl and eventually sell it to a [horrible but true stereotype] Asian family, who wants it for their 8-year old child--and wish you could return the hundreds of dollars worth of ITunes music (check!)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Heart Attacks...
Well, one day, I was having chest pains. I was absolutely convinced that it was a heart attack (calm down! Turns out it was pleurisy :) and I called my mom, frantic that I was dying (after I took a healthy dose of aspirin to thin the clot in my heart, of course!) She was trying to talk me down, but I was not having it. I was convinced I was having a heart attack, and was on my death bed (and also quite annoyed that my mom was not concerned that we were having our last EVER conversation) My mom finally, in a very triumphant voice and happy she had bested my retarded logic, told me that in the event of a heart attack, your extremities go numb.

This part is very important, and also absolutely true. At the very moment my mom told me about that symptom, MY HAND BEGAN TINGLING.

Yup, my own brand of crazy. :)


10 comments:

JL said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
JL said...

There's not much more that can be said...you pretty much nailed it on the head...love you anyway...Mom

JL said...

...um-m-m...I think you left your latest escapade off this list...do I need to...cough,cough,seasalt,cough, elaborate? Mom

aisy said...

are you forgetting the new pair of socks you used to wear every day? you could come over and play my cello by ear if you want. ha ha ha.

The Maumau's said...

Okay sis, this is WONDERFUL!! I love it, and it's all your own admission...lol! But, you forgot one last thing in the fiddle story...the family you sold it to got a KILLER deal!!!! And I mean KILLER!!!

Funny thing is, I still love you, and I even love the crazy you!!!!

leinani45 said...

Latu. This is why I love you so much. You're so HILARIOUS! ;) I could have totally helped you with your fiddle problem. I played the violin for around 4 years. :D

pamelasue said...

You make me laugh outloud! You funny, funny girl.

Dara McFarlane said...

i LOVE it, latu.

Alicia said...

I can't handle how funny you are - you crack me up. I mean, in the moment it might be funny, but it makes a great story on your blog, anyway. =) I loooove the violin story - that's so something I would do. We must be related. =)

Kim Walker said...

Latu!! How did I miss your comment SOOO long ago. I love seeing your face! Miss you! Hope all is well. You can blogstalk me all you want ;) Let me know how you are doin' chicka!