Wednesday, October 13, 2010

super powers

i was talking to my sister yesterday about her son who is in kindergarten and his first experience staying home sick from school. long story short, he regretted wanting to stay home about 10 minutes after making the choice (when he found out it would not be a fun-filled, play with friends kind of day!)

it made me think of when i was younger and would convince my mom i was too sick to go to school. when i was too sick to go to school, my mom would put me through a cleaning test. she told me she could tell by how i cleaned if i was really sick or just pretending. believing my mom to have super powers (because she only put me through this test when i was faking it) i would diligently clean all three or four rooms assigned, all the while, making sure to milk the illness. i would pretend to struggle pushing the vacuum (i was so weak from being sick!) and have to take a breather after every few times bending over. sometimes, i would crawl across the room to pick things up. folding blankets took an eternity and dusting made me cough frantically. i thought i was putting on quite the act.

it seemed to work every time!  my mom was buying this crap!  its only now that i look back that i realize my mom just wanted a clean house. she didn't as much care if i was really sick, i was making myself useful at home.

for that creativity and so many more reasons (i'm remembering pick up contests with my siblings-- whoever picked up the most rubbish or toys off the floor won; quiet wars and quiet time) i love my mom. hopefully one day, i can convince my own kids of super powers like hers!

1 comments:

Holly T said...

Haha, thats awesome. When I was younger me and my sister would sneak downstairs early and mix a bunch of gross stuff together in a bowl and pour it in the toilet so it looked like throw up so we could stay home. Never on the same day though, that would be too suspicious!!