Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Breathe, and I'll carry you away

Home among these mountain tops
Can be so awfully dull, a thousand miles from the tide

Like I said in my last post, I adore Owl City. The title and lines above are both from their song On The Wing. The thing I love the most about Owl City is that the words explain so perfectly emotions that I (and I am sure you) have felt. It is pure poetry, and I love it.

This song has hit close to home lately because I have contemplated that exact sentiment; Living in Utah, among the mountaintops is pretty dull, and it's for sure miles and miles from the Ocean, which I honestly feel like is part of my heritage. I cannot be without the water. I live here because it's what I know and it's where my family is. That's crap justification if you ask me.

I want to travel. I always have. I think it's something most people secretly wish for, and something that they leave for "someday" Well, someday never comes. I feel strongly that just because I was plopped down in the middle of Orem, Utah, does not mean that I must stay here forever, or even that this has to be my future. I want to travel the world. I want to go around the entire Earth and find the one place I love the most, and then stay forever.

I went to Australia, almost exactly on the other side of the world. I saw some amazing things and I loved it. It makes me wonder what else the world has to offer. There are billions of people here, and even more places to see. I want to see them. I don't care if Google Earth has street view that is pretty realistic. I don't care that I'm not going to be the first person ever to look at the things I see. I just want to see it first-hand. I want to experience it all. That way, when I am ready to settle down, I can be confident that the place I have chosen is the one place in the world that I want to be.

Or maybe I'm not ready to settle down because I'm not sure what exactly I'd be settling for here in Orem, Utah...

3 comments:

aisy said...

funny that i moved from one mountain city in canada to a mountain city in the US. travel friend... i wish i did more of it... my dream is one day to live where my parents do... ocean and mountains.

leinani45 said...

I concur. I think that our shared feeling of restlessness stems from a lack of security in our own predicaments. If we had something to anchor us, I believe that we both would be happy with the lot we've chosen. We want to go places because standing still where we are succumbs us to ridicule from the people around us. Maybe we feel that if we move fast enough that we can run away from our insecurities and find happiness in our new-found freedom. lol. Or maybe we just want to go and have fun :). Who knows?!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.